wiring problem

General Racing Discussion Area

Moderators: Larry Jr., opnwhl23

Trevor

wiring problem

Postby Trevor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:12 am

I've got a '79 suburban that I'm having a wiring problem with. Can someone tell me what the 2 wires that plug into the alternator go to. I know the red one goes to 12V constant but I'm unsure of the other one. From what I can find out, it's supposed to go to a swtiched 12V. The wire that was there had constant 12V like the other, so I cut it and plugged it into a switched 12V accessory plug in the fuse block. It worked fine but wouldn't let me shut the truck off unless I unplugged the wire from the fuse block. I'm having a problem with the battery being drained if it sits more than one night. With it wired like it was when I bought it, I could put a volt meter on the battery and litterally watch it drain. When I unhook the wire that's supposed to be switched, it quits draining the battery.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? The battery and alternator are brand new and it has a factory voltmeter if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Trevor
Stitches custom upholstery
207-7829
www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/redbeard
MED-MIKE

Re: wiring problem

Postby MED-MIKE » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:20 am

put a battery :peel: :peel: :burnout: cut off in and call it good
ALTON

Re: wiring problem

Postby ALTON » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:53 am

THE SMALL RED WIRE GOES TO KEYED POWER BUT NOT ON SAME CIRCUIT AS IGNITION OR YOU WILL HAVE RUN ON THE SMALL WHITE PUTS OUT THE LIGHT YOU CAN HOOK BOTH TOGETHER AS YOU HAVE BUT YOU MUST NOT HOOK THEM TO A CIRCUIT THAT ALSO RUNS THE IGNITION

Return to “General Discussion”