Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Main » General Discussion

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:28 am 

Hey all my names Jeff I'm 32 here's the scoops. Well after many years of driving n demolition derbys had to give it up went under the knife back n Dec for neck surgery no longer can crashm up so my long time friend and bro chopdaddy has talked me into racing I am soon trading for a g body a 78 grand prix any help on building this tipe of car anyone on here have 1 n have pictures of one I'm am starting with nothing I have a post n 4 sale to try n trade this lt1 motor I have for a compleet sbc motor and trans set up to get me started I need it all tips parts any and all info IS greatfully app caint wait to meet u all at the track anyone willn to take a newby under there wing I'm willn to learn I'm no mechanics but know a little looking for that rush again hope someone can help me out. Thanks for lending me your eyes n reading this Jeff W88 Houston Mo

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:50 am 

Why not find a carb intake for the LT-1 ?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:50 am 

W88, go to maliburacing.com and you will find a lot of help there, they are not just malibu specific but all "G" body guys, plus "79 Bu has some parts for sale, listed here on the for sale board, good luck. novice

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:25 am 

If it was me, I would probably keep the LT1 and use it. They need a little breathing, like headers and such, but they are not a bad motor to start with. The fuel injection is responsive and will start every time. They like to wind up pretty good. Throw about 3500 stall torque converter in it and go. We happen to know some guys that are good with converters :) . Add some gears and tires, maybe a little suspension work, put the Grand Prix on a diet, and go racing. It's all about consistancy. You could probably hit low 13's or high 12's with a little work. That would be the cheap way to go with what you have. If you want to go faster. Don't build a car. You can almost always buy a race car cheaper than you can build one. Go to ebay or racingjunk.com and take a look. You would be suprized how fast of a race car you can buy for 5-6k. Just because they are asking 8k doesn't mean they wouldn't take less. This economy is being real hard on lots of folks and selling that race car is becoming a priority for many. Make an offer, and be prepared to take it home. I think you have enough to start with though. You just need a little quality time in the shop.

Do the voices in my head bother you too?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:03 pm 

I completely agree with Paul. It sounds like you have a good starting platform. I'd take what I got and go with it. Lt-1's are a decent starting point. Gears, a stall, and some nitrous and you're good to go! :peel: :burnout:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:21 pm 

junkman306 wrote:
I completely agree with Paul. It sounds like you have a good starting platform. I'd take what I got and go with it. Lt-1's are a decent starting point. Gears, a stall, and some nitrous and you're good to go! :peel: :burnout:

no nos turbo all the way you know i have a nos kit and never used it i love my turbos on my car

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:43 pm 

On the lt1 I have its in a 94 caprice x hwy po car. I was reading on the moters in thoSe cars and they said its the baby lt1 the 265 but it dose say 5.7 on this sticker now being its the police lt1 is it the 350 one? Ok also if I swich and go with a carb intake they said that the distrb is controled by the ecm. And controls the timeing also and noway to bypass the ecm its the opti-spark system so what do I do? and also if I run the lt1 the way it is I disconnected the harness goining into da firewall so how would I use this harness n another car. This IS one complecated engine that's y I thought it would be easier to go old school thanks 4 all the help

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:51 pm 

Change distributors too. One of the guys at the track has run a LT1 in his Vega, ran mid/low 7's in the 1/8th mile.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:15 am 

W88 wrote:
On the lt1 I have its in a 94 caprice x hwy po car. I was reading on the moters in thoSe cars and they said its the baby lt1 the 265 but it dose say 5.7 on this sticker now being its the police lt1 is it the 350 one? Ok also if I swich and go with a carb intake they said that the distrb is controled by the ecm. And controls the timeing also and noway to bypass the ecm its the opti-spark system so what do I do? and also if I run the lt1 the way it is I disconnected the harness goining into da firewall so how would I use this harness n another car. This IS one complecated engine that's y I thought it would be easier to go old school thanks 4 all the help

If it's a 265 then it's not an LT1. Get the casting number off of the block and i can tell you what engine it is. That way you'll know for sure. :thumbsup:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:46 pm 

Bare With me I'm waiting on the guy so we can pull da motor I do have this paper that was left in the trunk and it has casting # for both . Also Bob on changing the distrib how do I do this it says that the distrib has a pilot shaft and driven by a pin. And has a long dowl pin and USes it to drive the distrib so the cam and distrib US one in the same so how would I Chang this to run an hei I like them much better what do u think if I was to go with the carb intace would it have the shaft in the back of the motor to run the distrib man I'm confused on this one also have a tack how would u hook it up to the distrib its under the water. Pump that's electric I can some what work on the hei blocks hey all I don't have a computer I'm using my cell phone. Also. I can get. Onto malibu site but caint click onto anything. I don't know why wof realy like to get onto it can someone tell them I have a blackberry from alltell and would realy like to get on there also Bob call me so we can go over what u meen about the distrib home # 417 457 1017 ask 4 Jeff would realy like to talk to you about it also I will some time go with turbos also the guy I got the caprice from said the motor was 350 horse and also the rear end has a wire going to the inside driver side I was told it was a elictric. Posi but it has a limeted slip tag on there thanks all great site caint wait to meet u all and thank u n person

Board index » Main » General Discussion