Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Main » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: cigarette TAX
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:59 pm 

junkman306 wrote:

So what you're saying is that as long as they are taxing something you don't partake in for the children, it's ok, but if you do partake in something that's getting taxed, then screw the children?

Huh? Where in the world did you fish out that interpretation from? I did not bring up the "children benefit" reasoning to ascribe laws. I was simply responding to it and using it's premise to prove a point. I clearly stated I like the idea of punishing {any} unhealthy behavior. It just so happens that in THIS case, children benefit from it.

Quote:
If it's for the children then EVERYONE should share the burden. Unless you don't like children. :bang: :bang: :bang: And yes.

This makes no sense. Children health insurance is not solely funded by this tax.

Quote:
Pay attention.

I am. You are not making any sense....yet.

Quote:
Obama fired Rick Wagoner. He has gone after a huge power play and it worked. Now they're gonna start firing whoever they feel like.

No, he did not. Get this into your brain. :bang: Wagoner could have said NO. He obliged at the WH's request. Word printed in bold for emphasis. Wagoner put his company in it's predicament where it needed financial aid from the feds to stay afloat. It's GM who went to the feds. Not the other way round. When you want funding from a bank and they say that they can only lend it to you if you do certain things first, you have the option of:

a) Doing what the bank wants or,
b) Forfeiting the requested aid.

No one put a gun on GM's head to go to the Govt for aid. So your "Obama-Power-Grab" claim in this regard is redundant. As the provider of the funds, the Govt has every right to demand terms of it's use.

Quote:
The sad part is that most of Obama's cabinet is more crooked than any of the CEO's of any failing company.

That is debatable and the comparison asinine at best and not relevant to the topic of discussion which is cigarette taxation.

Quote:
Get past the retarded historic part of the Obama election and actually pay attention to what he is doing. :bang:

I did get past the election and the results turned out exactly how I predicted they would. Apparently you did not. I am not prejudiced by political party ideology like you are so I view issues more objectively from an independent mindset. While I support Obama, there are policy issues of his I agree with and other issues I disagree with. I do not fall for the overblown "sky is falling" hysterics that seem to plague you right wingers or the guys on the far left.

Last edited by Slow91 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:05 pm 

Bob wrote:
The "other side" doesnt hate children, they just wanna kill them before they are born, but in our wonderful presidents eyes its okay to kill them as they are being born. I think he voted 3 times to allow that as a senator in Illinois. :bang: LOL, he's gettin me started again :mrgreen:

This is a specious lie. I will give you the chance to revise it or I will prove to you why it is a fallacious statement.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:09 pm 

Its not a lie, he is pro abortion, and he voted 3 times to allow a procedure to take place if the original abortion attempt failed.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:13 pm 

Daddy's Girl wrote:
Kay here is the link that explains the Corporate Angel Network---http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Charitable+group+recruits+corporate+jets+for+good+cause.-a0139718692

It is truly a great thing they are doing. Unfortunately, it may be done allot less with people donating less and corporations having to cut back on expenditures.

This is just one example of "Change"

I do not agree with Obama's administration for not letting people write off more on charitable donations/contributions as they were before. Even though I am not exactly religious and highly suspicious/skeptical of organized religion entirely - religious orgs like "convoy for hope" play a big role in services they offer to communities around the globe. These were the 1st people to enter disaster zones to aid victims in places like Galveston, Texas after the hurricane and during Katrina. People should be encouraged to donate more to these kind of organizations. Not the other way round.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:21 pm 

i voted for mccain/palin :thumbsup:

78 malibu
540 bb cchevy
2008 no-e track champ

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:23 pm 

Bob wrote:
Its not a lie, he is pro abortion, and he voted 3 times to allow a procedure to take place if the original abortion attempt failed.

Obama is pro-choice ie. supports Roe v/s Wade decision. He's the most abortion friendly POTUS in history. Everyone knows this. That is not my bone of contention with your statement. He voted 3X against that specific bill you mention for another reason. Big difference. BTW, he voted against that bill alongside some Republicans. It had mainly to do with language of the legislation.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:47 am 

[quote="80bu"]:soapbox: I don't know if any of you remember a thing from the past called the Master Settlement Agreement? It was an agreement signed by the tobacco companies & the Attorneys Generals of the US in 1998. The tobacco companies agreed to pay $225 Billion .....yep, that's right....$225 BILLION to the States over a 25 year period. The funds were largely in part earmarked for smoking related illness & youth prevention programs. Here it is 10 years later & less than 3% of the money has been spent on the intended uses. For the most part it goes into the general fund & is used for whatever. Think the Attorneys Generals REALLY cared about health issues. Do you REALLY think the current government cares about health care for children or do they just want the extra $38 billion to pittel away like the rest of it.

I get so tired of hearing how cigarettes are bad for you & cause so many health problems. If health problems are such a big issue, STOP DRIVING YOUR CAR. Oh, I'm sorry...that effects way to many people doesn't it. It's real easy to pi$$ off 20% of the people, but don't mess with something that effects the majority.

The report is that 60% of people in the US are over weight, bordering on obesity. Think that there are any health issues & costs connected to that.

Ditto....JUST FOLLOW THE MONEY... :bang:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:51 am 

[quote="80bu"]:soapbox: I don't know if any of you remember a thing from the past called the Master Settlement Agreement? It was an agreement signed by the tobacco companies & the Attorneys Generals of the US in 1998. The tobacco companies agreed to pay $225 Billion .....yep, that's right....$225 BILLION to the States over a 25 year period. The funds were largely in part earmarked for smoking related illness & youth prevention programs. Here it is 10 years later & less than 3% of the money has been spent on the intended uses. For the most part it goes into the general fund & is used for whatever. Think the Attorneys Generals REALLY cared about health issues. Do you REALLY think the current government cares about health care for children or do they just want the extra $38 billion to pittel away like the rest of it.

I get so tired of hearing how cigarettes are bad for you & cause so many health problems. If health problems are such a big issue, STOP DRIVING YOUR CAR. Oh, I'm sorry...that effects way to many people doesn't it. It's real easy to pi$$ off 20% of the people, but don't mess with something that effects the majority.

The report is that 60% of people in the US are over weight, bordering on obesity. Think that there are any health issues & costs connected to that.

Ditto...JUST FOLLOW THE MONEY.... :bang:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 am 

LET'S RACE (WHILE WE STILL CAN)

Keep David Goolsby in your prayers.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:19 pm 

55promod wrote:
LET'S RACE (WHILE WE STILL CAN)

POOF ????????

The only love greater than a grandparents love, is Gods love.

Friends do, what friends do, because their friends.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Main » General Discussion