Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Main » General Discussion

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:13 pm 

I saw in one of the threads that it was posted that the ET cut off for running the 1/4 mile was 12.00. Is this a new rule? In the past the break from 1/4 mile to 1000' was based on the type of tires that you used as opposed to a ET break. Thanks

Steve

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:02 am 

Just curious about the cut off, Midnight Drags coming up.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:35 am 

I am curious about this too.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:45 am 

It say's 11.90 or slower hope that's a typo if not they will lose a lot of people to mokan there are to many street cars that run much faster than 11.90

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:59 am 

brud_1 wrote:
It say's 11.90 or slower hope that's a typo if not they will lose a lot of people to mokan there are to many street cars that run much faster than 11.90

I know that's not right. My buddy ran several 11.1's @130mph a couple weeks ago.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:26 pm 

I'm also curious

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:56 am 

I too am curious about this.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:20 am 

brud_1 wrote:

Mokan also has 12,000 miles on nice, flat, fields at the end of it. :thumbsup:

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:22 pm 

junkman306 wrote:
brud_1 wrote:

Well, past the field (which is pretty rough) there is a barb wire fence then ditch, road, ditch, more fence and it doesn't mean you won't destroy your car, because you will. At ORP we have sand trap, net or two, can't remember, then big bails, ditch from hell with no bottom and lots of trees. So far our ditch has claimed one life and changed another for ever. Both cars were completely destroyed. Daniel was lucky. Until you have been down there and pulled some one out or collected pieces from a car in the valley you really don't have a good sence of what can happen. The valley is much too deep to fill. The starting line use to be in a different place on the track making it a longer shut down area but a lousy burn out box. There are a few of us that remember doing a burn on the "curve". It's better now. Cars go faster than they did back then in stock form. Even though they have better tires and brakes now, not many street cars come equipped with a parachute. Daniels chute was out and the brakes were blue, but a car under power doesn't not care about either. He still went off at over 200mph. I have seen chutes pulled out on the line and the car only lose a half second in et. I wish we had a little more shut down area, but we don't. Quarter mile tracks are becoming fewer all the time. Even the big boys are starting to get used to the feel of 1000ft. You can say what you want, but 95% of the time if you are behind at the 1/8 mile, you'll be behind at 1/4. All you do going that extra 660 ft is run the risk of wearing out your motor or having problems at a faster speed than you would in a shorter distance...but hey, what do I know. I'm just another bracket racer.
:soapbox:

Do the voices in my head bother you too?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:57 pm 

AlteredMopar wrote:
junkman306 wrote:
brud_1 wrote:

You can say what you want, but 95% of the time if you are behind at the 1/8 mile, you'll be behind at 1/4. All you do going that extra 660 ft is run the risk of wearing out your motor or having problems at a faster speed than you would in a shorter distance...but hey, what do I know. I'm just another bracket racer.
:soapbox:

I can believe that would be true in a bracket type car but on forced induction street cars the second half is very important. I ran Trey's Chevelle at the track a few years ago and he killed me on reacton time and 60' and had me by 2 cars at least at the 1/8 but I nipped him at the strip because my car had a pretty strong top end. I am an ET chaser. I like to work on my car and ring every last hundeth out of it and 1/4 is still the standard for comparing ET's. I have heard others say that the second 660 only wears out parts and has no use but by that train of thought you might as well run 330 or even 60' or if you really want to save parts why not just have a reaction time contest and leave the cars at home! :D When I was in the service and stationed in Jacksonville FL I lived about 6 miles from JAX Raceway which was an 1/8 mile track and me and my buddies drove right past it on the way to Gainesville which was an hour and half away so that we could get a 1/4 time slip. I understand the need for 1/8 mile racing for extremely fast cars for safety reasons but for a 10 or 11 second street car I like 1/4 mile racing! For me I would prefer it to be 1/4 all the time for street cars but I would understand if they had to have a MPH cutoff because of the limited slow down area at the track.

Board index » Main » General Discussion