Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Main » General Discussion

Post subject: oil pump...
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:24 pm 

starting to gather parts for engine rebuild and came to the oil pump and as everyone knows there are HP/HV/HP-HV and standard pump. I thought at first I was going with the high pressure, and thought that was standard for the typical high performance build but got to thinking, which may have been my first mistake, what are the others for except the standard for the stock overhaul. anyway I thought you guys that do this all the time might have some words of wisdom to impart, about what type you use in your build-ups. thanks for any response...novice

Post subject: Re: oil pump...
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:25 pm 

moroso billet pump....alot of guys use the melling m55-hv or the m77 in a big block, but the housing castings are very weak in those as now they are a stock replacment pump....melling has a performance line of pumps..the anti cavatational race pump is a good one

78 malibu
540 bb cchevy
2008 no-e track champ

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:03 am 

High pressure isn't really what you want. High volume is what I prefer. I was told that high pressure can create issues in "floating" the bearings out of place. Then you do have problems.

Do the voices in my head bother you too?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:36 pm 

It really makes alot of difference what you are doing with the engine. Most races engines have larger bearing clearances, requiring more oil volume to keep the film (cushion) between the metal surfaces. If it is stock or mostly stock, high volume really isn't needed...and remember that if you do go high volume, increase your oiling system capacity. High pressure and high volume both use some precious horsepower also. Mellings does not reccomend the stock oil pump for solid motor mounts.....I know why now........the neck where the pump bolts to the bearing cap is smaller to save some material and will break if it sees alot of vibration. If you run a bronze or composite dist. gear with a high pressure pump, you can expect it to wear quicker also.

The bottom line is........losing an oil pump sucks ALOT!!! Paying extra for a good pump is cheap insurance. And if you are racing or running solid mounts, either get a pump with a bolt on pickup or at least braze the pickup in to ensure that it doesn't work loose.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:21 am 

thanks for the tips guys...novice

Board index » Main » General Discussion