Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Main » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:16 pm 

Scott also has carbon fiber brakes, the hotter they get the better they stop, I personally have pulled freinds from the wooded tree tops, mabey you should walk down to the bottom of the pit to see what it really lookes like, I believe there are still parts in the trees!!!! :shock:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:35 pm 

Location: Last Pontiac Standing. Free the Whales or the trainer gets it !
So my ? is how many 10.5 index cars will contribute to the tree ornaments :twisted: ?

ARE YOU PREDATOR OR PREY?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:55 pm 

WHALE DRIVER wrote:
So my ? is how many 10.5 index cars will contribute to the tree ornaments :twisted: ?

I don't think any mid 10 seconds cars will have any problems getting stopped unless thier brakes are in poor mechanical condition or there is another problem. I have ran numerous 10.70's/10.80's at around 130 mph and have always had plenty of room to stop with stock G body brakes. Smoot went 9.90's at 132ish at over 4k pounds with no problems and I have seen a few street cars run over 140 mph!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:29 pm 

when you say mecanical condition, i assume you have made nessasary upgrades other than stock braking componets?

anybody can build a 10.5 index car put a healthy motor in beef up the tranny, put a cage in etc....... what about the brakes,stock brakes may stop it a few times but once the rotors are glazed and the pads start cracking see if you can slow down your 132ish mph pass........ask dwight parker about that..... 132mph on stock front brakes running at 1000ft. his rotors got so hot they were cracked so bad, i could not turn them, stock componet brakes were not designed to slow down a car moving that fast, time and time again, because most of the average guys would not do a brake upgrade on these cars,
i bet i turn 30-40 rotors a week.....the stock rotors are very soft and they turn very easy, really porous casting......cross drilled and slotted rotors, which i turn several of those also, are made of entirely different alloy of steel...some of those are so hard that i have to grind them on the flywheel machine, motorcycle rotors are the hardest of all...safety plays a major part because, not everyone would make an upgrade to safely stop EVERY TIME. ;)

78 malibu
540 bb cchevy
2008 no-e track champ

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:15 am 

Larry Jr. wrote:
when you say mecanical condition, i assume you have made nessasary upgrades other than stock braking componets?

anybody can build a 10.5 index car put a healthy motor in beef up the tranny, put a cage in etc....... what about the brakes,stock brakes may stop it a few times but once the rotors are glazed and the pads start cracking see if you can slow down your 132ish mph pass........ask dwight parker about that..... 132mph on stock front brakes running at 1000ft. his rotors got so hot they were cracked so bad, i could not turn them, stock componet brakes were not designed to slow down a car moving that fast, time and time again, because most of the average guys would not do a brake upgrade on these cars,
i bet i turn 30-40 rotors a week.....the stock rotors are very soft and they turn very easy, really porous casting......cross drilled and slotted rotors, which i turn several of those also, are made of entirely different alloy of steel...some of those are so hard that i have to grind them on the flywheel machine, motorcycle rotors are the hardest of all...safety plays a major part because, not everyone would make an upgrade to safely stop EVERY TIME. ;)

I have made dozens of passes over the last 5 years in the 130 mph range on bone stock G Body 10.5 disc and rear drum brakes with out any problems and I have been able to stop in plenty of time. Smoot, Bob and Garret have all made faster passes than I have down the track and they all got thier cars stopped also and thier cars are as heavy or heavier than mine. I do check my brakes from time to time but never needed to replace any parts other than nomral wear or had any cracking and my car weighed 3600 pounds without me in it. I think it is everyone's own personal responsibility to make sure thier car is safe to race and not the track officials or the rule book's job. I think safety rules certainly have a place in racing but even if they are enforced to the letter of the law I don't think you can put enough rules in place to make any motorsports 100% safe from the guy that runs faulty and poorly maintained equipment.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 pm 

Just to be clear I'm talking about the guys wanting to run faster 1/4 mile passes.

There's plenty of room to shut down for 1/8th mile runs. :peel:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:35 pm 

Both Bob and Garret have aftermarket wilwood brakes.

78 malibu
540 bb cchevy
2008 no-e track champ

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:40 pm 

Wilwood up front, 9" drums out back ;)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:55 pm 

There's plenty of room to shut down for 1/8th mile runs. :peel:[/quote]

I used to take the first return road using the chute and hard on the brakes. :D
One night the next pair down one of the car lost a brake line staging and did not have a chute . He came by us going guard rail to guard rail trying to scrub of speed I told the saftey guys HE S NOT STOPPING . When he got to the end of the track he made a hard right turn and came up the return almost back to us.
When something goes wrong the track is never long enough.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:22 pm 

i aint got nothing to worry about cuz i aint fast............. :burnout:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Main » General Discussion