Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Main » General Discussion

Post subject: Re: Sat. Start Time
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:33 am 

I'm with ya on the lets go racing part!!! Just seem that starting everything a couple hours earlier would help out later when dew starts to set in and with a forecasted low 40s temp its gonna happen!! Lets hope they keep cars going down the track, hopefully with no havok and we get the race in before it gets damp.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:50 am 

Forecast sat night showing 45 for the low 54 @ midnight humidity @ 48% and dew point @ 31 so.........................cool dry air sunny all day ...no dew no wet track. May need to stock up on oil dry i am sure more than a few people are going to be swinging for the fences (tune up wise)

The last race the D.A was well over 4300 ft i am guessing 1500 this weekend i have seen it @ 150 once on a cool dry night !!!!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:26 am 

One of the big issues is when a car breaks and we have to stop the race for clean up. The constant wind and heat created by cars, keeps water vapor from forming. A one hour clean up is a big deal. Nobody wants to put a diaper on their motor, but it really helps everybody involved. The track, the other drivers, the guy in the car who just blew up his motor, all benefit from something as simple as that. You can run into the wee hours of morning if you don't have to stop. It also amazes me how many people will thrash on an untested car to make the "big" race, only to blow it up or scatter parts all over the track. I understand wanting to make the show, but a big race is not the place to sort out bugs. Not saying it can't be done, you just really have to know your stuff or be very comfortable with your combination. I'm not talking about a car that was ruining two weeks ago and bolted on a different turbo last week, i''m talking about a car that has not been down a track ever. This happens a lot more than I care to remember.

Do the voices in my head bother you too?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:47 pm 

There ya go, make diapers required, see how many cars show up at the next race. Doo Doo happens.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:22 am 

Had a good time last night, but still think we are going to stand around all day watching a perfect race day pass by before we start!! How is it that the NHRA,ADRL,NMCA Etc. Etc. can race during the day and we cant? Maybe time to think outside the box alittle. One simple question, if somebody were to walk around the pits today and take a poll of what the racers thought about using or wasting a great day, what do you think the answer would be? Alteredmopar makes a point about an oil down causing the track to lose temp and start to cover with dew, what happens to the other lane when a whole field of cars qualify in one lane as in what happened last night?

With all that said, I hope all goes well and we have a great race today. I can take a (I told you so) if all goes well, and hope anyone else can if things don't. 45 degrees forecasted by midnite, better get the coffee makers cleaned and running.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:52 am 

71z28camaro wrote:
How is it that the NHRA,ADRL,NMCA Etc. Etc. can race during the day and we cant?

A couple of comments to this. What you see on TV of an NHRA event is 3 and sometimes a 4th class. If there is a lot of down time due to rain/oildown/crash/etc - they reschedule the other classes and run them when they can - which might be really late at night - yes even 2 am. I was running at Ennis back in the 90's and we ran a time trial after 2 am. This same scenario actually happened last week at Charlotte. The sportsman classes ran pretty late - after the pro's - just to get it in.

As far as ADRL - there were all kinds of delays this year at Michigan. A crash, a full track oil down, and rain. That event ran way late and we didn't get out of the track until after 1:30 am. The ADRL events are usually finished by 10 - 11pm.

I ran at the SCSN at Vegas 2 years ago. We ran 1st round at 10am and second round at 6pm because of all of the crashes and oil downs.

What you try to do as a race promoter is set a schedule that attracts the most fans and gets the racers out at a decent hour. Sometime it works and sometimes it doesn't

I know that the ORP crew will do all they can to keep things running smooth and get everyone out of there at a decent hour.

Keep David Goolsby in your prayers.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:26 pm 

Eddyville started at noon on Saturday and was done by 5:30 :peel:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:04 pm 

speedfreak wrote:
Eddyville started at noon on Saturday and was done by 5:30 :peel:

lol stands looked packed...........and they did not run 2 q runs and have 8 classes !!!!!

Board index » Main » General Discussion