Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Main » General Discussion

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:04 am 

Rays is the night he turned the black altered over on Keith Hall.....and Als #10.....

and all of the above...

Keith we saw that one ...too funny...really funny..

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:32 am 

Seems like every trip to the track has a memorable moment. I'll keep it to 5.

1. Nicks first night in his Jr. that ran mid 9's when I told the wife it would only run..maybe 11's.(I still limp from that injury) Never seen a kid grin so much.

2. Al and I putting the altered on Alky was really exciting. Had a big jump in et and speed. Like driving a different car.

3. Listening to Palmer roll the corvette after the lights in the big end and hearing that engine doing a sick lean out scream on the big end. Still get chills thinking about that.

4. Having Vicki run my car in the semis at SM. She was in a 6.00 index and had a bye run. She didn't know how to run 6.00 with out another car. Told to her "Let the big dog eat and show em what does run." She went 5.52. Larry asked me how do you guys slow it down. I said, "Her little foot."

5. The big ball of fire when Mike hit the wall last year. I got weak in the knees at that moment. Really impressive.

Do the voices in my head bother you too?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:47 pm 

HUmm... quite a few to choose from.

Winning No-E at one of Carl's 4 State Drag News races

Helping Chuck when he put the Camaro on a Nitro Mix and twisted the driveshaft out in 3rd gear.

Standing at the top of the tower looking over the pits at SMN circa "the Woods era"

Standing toe to toe with Lee B yelling and screaming in the staging lanes

Playing an instrumental role in getting heads up racing started at OIR / ORP

Fat Jack Crew and the after parties

So many more........

Oh yeah, and getting banned (always guilty whether I actually did it or not)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:46 am 

I dug this old topic up that I saw some time ago. My most memorable moments go back to before it was ORP. The most memorable moment was the time the guy who built the facility in the first place showed up at our Sunday street races we held up the road a ways here on the straight stretch just around the corners from the old store (until the cops busted us) and asked us if he built a drag strip would we race on it. I believe his name was Ricter or something like that. Of course we said yes. Well, he built the strip and we did race on it until it had tower fires, roofing nails on the track and return road etc. Then the place fell into disrepair for awhile and we resumed our "illegal" Sunday races on it ourselves until they cut a trench across it with a backhoe. At that time I ran a 66 Station in Sparta(Drag City) and had a 428 Cobra Jet Mustang 4 speed and a friend of mine had a 396 Chevelle automatic and we decided to have a grudge race. I used my station pickup truck to get a load of base rock from Joe Howard's limestone quarry and we filled in the trench (it was just the asphalt that was gone) and we raced best 2 out of 3 starting in the shut down area and racing towards the tower so as to not race across the gravel. He beat me twice, I couldn't get enough bite on takeoff and it was close and FUN. A lot of us have always thought our Sunday street races were instrumental in this dragstrip being here. There are other stories.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:51 am 

Meze, I would love to hear any and all stories that you might have from back in those days. Have you seen the event page for our upcoming Racers Reunion on February 28th? Please give me a call when you have a few moments to talk! AL

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:54 pm 

I'll tell one more here. Several of us started racing over at Springfield-Ozark Dragway as soon as we got drivers licenses. After graduation I had to go to Viet Nam, but when I came home on my first leave a friend of mine, Phil Shelton, was running the track then and the one in West Plains. We helped him take the clocks over there one weekend when I was in. The next time I came back the track had closed. Can't remember what year for sure. I got out in 1975. The Sunday races started over on old 60 on the east side of Rogersville in about 1976. We would meet at Larry Warsham's trailer and head out there. We raced there several weeks but one Sunday a Highway Patrolman saw us from over on new 60, it was a scramble to get out of there (Johnny Monger and I about crashed escaping. My '55 Chevy into his Corvette.) That is when we moved over here. We got sophisticated enough to have lookouts with CBs for the police. We all parked in a field so only the 2 racers might get caught. Seems like someone was charging spectators admission to the field. Racers were free. One weekend we got a trophy and had a trophy queen present it to the top eliminator. That was Clay Allen. He ha a V8 Vega I believe. I wish he still had the trophy. Probably shouldn't tell this but one weekend we had a guy selling beer out of a pickup. ( Pretty sure the statute of limitations is up now) I wish we had taken some pictures and I do think there are some from when we held our own races on the dragstrip. I will tell some of the folks about the reunion, however most of us never kept racing much after that with all the problems the track had back then. But as you all know it never gets out of your system. I hope this is interesting to some of the folks who weren't around back then.

Last edited by Meze on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:30 pm 

YEAH MEZE I was there at those races. I was at the end of the finish line with a CB radio giving the all clear. Allen had the hot car along with Clay Phillips running a 64 or 65 Chevelle I can't remember his first name of the guy in the Vega. I guess my most memorable race was when my grandson ran a golf cart and beat the guy with the purple fast electric cart I don't think he was very happy but I was. The second would be when I ran Donnie Shelter in the finals of trophy and won. The third would be running Larry Hunt SR. in the finals and Larry broke the rearend on the starting line and I won my first No-E race we split the money anyway{LOL} Had lots of stuff from the old Ozark track when it was open.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:03 pm 

I won't give away your real name but that has got to be "Rabbit".

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:04 pm 

Yeah you guessed it! Those were the days!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:59 pm 

Sliding through the traps at 126mph sideways and on fire.

Board index » Main » General Discussion