Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Main » General Discussion

Post subject: Hey, Larry Jr...
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:50 pm 

I have been trying to sort out some brake problems and found out the NHRA requires you have a combination valve on your brake lines, which I tossed when stripping the car, thought you might have a solution since you are the brake guy and I am trying to build a malibu like yours or at least body wise it is like yours. I had planned to use an adjustable proportioning valve but I understand the rules say you must hook the line loc to the combination valve before the brakes. I really don't know where to purchase a "combination" valve. any help you can give is appreciated, thanks...novice.

Post subject: Re: Hey, Larry Jr...
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 pm 

you can run an adjustable proportioning valve, thats what ''combination'' means...which means if the front system fails you still have the back axle brakes to get you stopped. you need to plumb your line loc in front of the proportioning valve.. which means the front brake line needs spliced and your line loc installed and your outlet line should go to your proportioning valve. remember the back brake line on your master cyl.. closest to the firewall is your front brakes... and the fittings are metric... i made the line at work for the nut in the master cyl. and used a DOT approved union for the backside for my standard nut going to the lineloc

78 malibu
540 bb cchevy
2008 no-e track champ

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:18 pm 

I'm thinking what I am calling an adjustable proportioning valve is not what you are talking about. My original plan was to run the line from the master cylinder (for front end) to the line loc and out of the loc to a "T" fitting for the front brakes and then plumb the rear line to the adjustable proportioning valve. I have no idea what the DOT fitting is or looks like. Wish I knew how to post pictures on here to better explain myself. Maybe someday I can take a look at your set-up and go from there. Thanks for getting back to me and I will look at your method and try to make it happen...novice

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 pm 

if your building G-body car, the factory proportioning valve is on the driver side frame rail on the inside, its brass, you can find them in the salvage yard really cheap too. both axles needs to be plummed into the prop. valve thats the idea of having it. if its only on the rear brakes, its really pointless to have one, it needs to all work together

78 malibu
540 bb cchevy
2008 no-e track champ

Board index » Main » General Discussion