Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Main » General Discussion

Post subject: best deal on a crank...
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:45 am 

...for a 400 sbc. been doing some upgrades and thinking about a new crank a little stouter than stock but don't know anything other than what I read, and they all say they are the best so, any suggestions for me to look at? thx...novice

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:14 pm 

I remember when people used to beat the crap out of 400 cast cranks daily....even with 200+ shot of nitrous!! But, that was when they were the only thing available. The most economical upgrade would be a Scat 9000 nodular crankshaft. Very good unit for the price. If you are really going to build power, look past the lesser steel cranks and get a 4340 unit.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:54 pm 

the scat unit is what I have been looking at, they are sold by all the better known names, summit, jegs and even skip white. skippy even throws in a set of bearings but most people are down on the guy and I have reservations as well. I think ohio crankshaft has a 4340 unit for around 500. I am not quite ready yet so I will give it some more thought and decide what I am actually trying to build. I have been known to change my mind in mid stream and it always costs me. thx rumble...novice

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:16 pm 

you'll be fine, just stay away from the offbrand crap. Cat, ProComp, etc. aren't worth the headaches! Stay with names like Scat, Eagle, or maybe Callies!!

Or heck, take that 400 crank up to the machine shop, have the rods turned to small journal and offset grind that sucker to 3.80 stroke then see what it takes to kill it!! You might be surprised!

Board index » Main » General Discussion