advantages of electric water pump...

General Racing Discussion Area

Moderators: Larry Jr., opnwhl23

advantages of electric water pump...

Postby novice » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:40 pm

been looking at water pumps, aluminum mechanical and electric. as I understand it, the electric does free up some horsepower and allows you to cool down between rounds better but the mechanical would seem to be more reliable, plus, is there many times when you need extra time to cool down? thanks for your thoughts...novice

Re: advantages of electric water pump...

Postby AlteredMopar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I actually use it for just the opposite. Alky makes a motor run cool and if the pump was always running, I could never get any heat in the engine. The difference between 140 degrees and 165 is about 35 hp in my car. Just enough to break out or not run the number if the temp isn't where it should be.
Wheels Up!

Do the voices in my head bother you too?

Postby novice » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 am

I am considering e85 fuel and have been wondering if it has near the same effect as alcohol?

Postby julven » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:37 am

I've had a CSR for about 10 years now and it has been great. Like you said you can cool down between rounds makes it the only option I think. We just got our E85 combo going and so far the EXH temps seem cooler and it smells good but the engine heats up just like it would on gas.
Your local Hoosier Dealer
Thanks to Sponsors
C&R Transmission
Neal Chance Converters

Postby Promaverick » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:46 pm

I converted to E-85 about mid summer. And have found that E-85 is a great alternative to expensive racing fuel. As far running cooler, I usually like to leave the starting line about 170 degrees, and when I make the turn at the top end its about 180. It takes some time for warmup. But what I did was installed a radiator petcock in the 1 in spacer under the carb. At warmup I open it to lean out the fuel mixture and it builds heat real fast. when to temp I simply close the petcock. The engines never been over 180 degrees, even on the hottest day. In fact I found that on the return road, the engine cools way down,and depending on how long it is between rounds would cool all the way down. So I actually turn the pump off on the return road to build some heat in the engine for the time between rounds.

Return to “General Discussion”