Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Main » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:38 pm 

My first post started with I should stay out of this but here goes.
I do wish I had of stayed out. I jumped in so its sink or swim and I think I will swim.

When I made my first post I was trying to speak for some of the guys that race in the class. I have had a few phone calls a PMs and they were all positive not one disgreed with me.
The 4 links had been up awhile. The only car I could think of that would help was Ron Vanmeter with the little truck. When the fiberglass parts became legal just 2 months before the first race that was a major change. Thats not much time to order parts and paint them.

Like I said before times they are a changing . I think next year we will have scales in all of the classes. We may not know about it tell a month before the race but they are a coming.

admin I agree the MAKO rules would work good in our Drag Radial class. Both have single kits on BB NOS cars and the 88mm turbo.
I was always talking about the class I run in TT5.
You said what I said made "no sense" you also said " absolutely nothing in regards to POTENTIAL ETs has changed". I will try to explain.
I have raced at Holly Spings and at SGMP Ducks race with Team TYDO. The air and track at these place is alot different Then ORP. The ETs ran there are different then here.
You asked me to remember the track record here is 4.68 I know this well. Here alot of cars have ran in the 4.90s. A few have ran in the 4.80s. Dewaye, Josh in Dr. Mustangs car and I have ran in the 4.70s. Mark "Woody" has ran a 4.69 and 4.68.
The cars I was referring to that ran 4.30s at our track was the Outlaw 10.5 cars. With the 4 links and fiberglass these cars fit the class much better the the TT5 cars that have raced in the class forever. When these cars run a 4.60 thier mad and thats a tenth faster then our record and 4 tenths faster then most of the field.YES I know the have to use 315 Drag Radials and take off the bars. Wait tell you see these cars at Tulsa. I had the MPH record at ORP for awhile at 158 yes Woody is much faster. The outlaw cars run 180 MPH.
I hope that explains my 4.30 cars.
I think the POTENTIAL ETs dropped 4 tenths and gained 30 MPH over most of the old TT5 field of cars.

Now back to scales. Remember I like the old rules. This is just me thinking .
Drag Radial and MAKO seem ok on weights.
TT5 or OL 10.5 without bars it looks like OT5R weights.
With my Dr bills after my wreck and the $$ of building a new car I am not sure my new car will be out this year.
I will race my turbo car at St. Louis and Tulsa. My car builder and tuner cannt be at ORP. 55PROMOD this is not a slam at ORP its just a FACT. This car can race at 2500 lbs. This means I have need to lose 600 lbs.
My 66 SB NOS can race at 2250 so it needs to lose 600 lbs also.
I know we dont have scales this year but most of the cars that ran TT5 last year will be about 400 to 500 lbs heavier then the cars that have all the fiberglass parts and weights added the the rear. This might be why the TT5 guys are not happy.

Like I said at the start I wish I had never started all this.
I will still be there racing. I have been beat before they wont be getting a cherry.

PS Hey Smart John will you still help me read my plugs.lol

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:54 am 

To many rule changes !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:55 am 

Don - I consider us good enough friends to agree to disagree in some areas, this is all just a matter of opinion, and I'll be the first to admit I get stuff wrong on occasion. Like I said, I'm commenting personally on this stuff, not as a representative of ORP.

#1 - Remember these are no longer "just" ORP rules, these rules affect three tracks right now that are participating in the M/T Series. That does factor into my comments.

#2 - Yes, it would have been great if any rule changes would have been wrapped up last year.

TT5 - Anytime you have unlimited weight and unlimited HP the sky is the limit on how quick they can be, as you said Fantasy Land tracks in cool air are not the same thing as here in the midwest in the heat of the summer. Yes I get that, but I did say potential. In my opinion, all the fiberglass really does is allow some of the heavier cars a chance to get closer to the lighter weight OEM cars, say the Camaro's with plastic fenders and doors, or lightweight Mustangs.
I don't see 4 links being worth 4 tenths at all on the same tire - remember if an OL10.5 car does drop down, they have to change tires as well.

My only other point I'd like to make is I did say that this class does need rules work in my opinion, and a lot of it to bring some sort of parity.

D/R - I'm fully aware of the deal with late rule changes with the doors and fenders. You saw all the work I did on my car to the steel fenders and doors. Then the MAKO rules changed, but my car's already painted so crap. Yeah I get it 100%. I'm pretty darn sure on my car it's not 400-500 lbs difference between steel and fiberglass doors/fenders, no where near that. MAYBE 10 lbs on the front fenders, 20-30 ish on the doors? I would be surprised if I got that much. Anyway.. Oh what fun hey?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 pm 

Why is it that no one from ORP has responded to this ? It seems as if it is what it is like it or leave

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:44 pm 

Rick M wrote:
Why is it that no one from ORP has responded to this ? It seems as if it is what it is like it or leave

Rick, if you or anyone else really wants to discuss this - pick up the phone and call Marty or Mitch. It continually amazes me that people will take the time to post on the forum but won't make a simple call.

I've talked about these rule changes a little with Mitch - the rule changes were made to satisfy all three tracks - otherwise there would be no M/T Series this season. He is trying to make a local series and more places for people to race along with greater car counts here at ORP.

I'm sure that if someone comes out and runs a 1/2 second faster than anyone else - something will be done about it.

Keep David Goolsby in your prayers.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:21 pm 

Why not address everyone's concerns not just mine. I just asked a simple question. Didn't realize this was top secret. Our car will be legal to run where we like. I will not have a car that can only run one series because of situations just like this.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:21 pm 

Rick M wrote:
Why not address everyone's concerns not just mine. I just asked a simple question. Didn't realize this was top secret. Our car will be legal to run where we like. I will not have a car that can only run one series because of situations just like this.

Rick, everyone has a different concern - usually it's centered around their situation. I'm not (and neither is Mitch or Marty) going to discuss things in a public forum.

If you have a question or a complaint - call Mitch or Marty.

Keep David Goolsby in your prayers.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:33 pm 

John Heard wrote:
D/R - I'm fully aware of the deal with late rule changes with the doors and fenders. You saw all the work I did on my car to the steel fenders and doors. Then the MAKO rules changed, but my car's already painted so crap. Yeah I get it 100%. I'm pretty darn sure on my car it's not 400-500 lbs difference between steel and fiberglass doors/fenders, no where near that. MAYBE 10 lbs on the front fenders, 20-30 ish on the doors? I would be surprised if I got that much. Anyway.. Oh what fun hey?

My interest is Drag Radial John and I are in the same place, same model of cars and like he said it wouldn't make enough to make or break me with the fiberglass. The bad is the rule change this late in the rebuild season. I wish going forward there would be a set date/public promise that there will be no changes after said date. MY father is crazy for fiberglass doors and fenders anyway but my fear is that we do and then this time next year there is scales with weight rules and we wasted our money as I would think the weights would be close to MAKO's to keep with area or established rules and our car was built around the 2012 ORP rules so adding weight is not our friend and MAKO weights are not friendly to our build. I would need a fat calf in the trunk to make weight. :lol:

Thanks to Sponsors
C&R Transmission
WorkTurbochargers
Neal Chance Converters

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:09 pm 

My 2 cents - get the car running and worry about the fiberglass stuff later.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:17 pm 

John Heard wrote:
My 2 cents - get the car running and worry about the fiberglass stuff later.

It does run, from 95*-140* lol!!! Thats as far as I have got the fuel map worked out.

Thanks to Sponsors
C&R Transmission
WorkTurbochargers
Neal Chance Converters

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Main » General Discussion