Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Main » General Discussion

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:08 pm 

I am running a c&s alky carb not sure on size but i know I am getting to much fuel bogging out before 60 foot then picks up I know akly has a flash point so you cant run it to lean. but who can jet my alky carb and set it to run where it needs to be running a 377 and also a crank trigger thanks

76 nova
377 sbc powered by griff.
formally known as the skittle

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:43 pm 

There are several chassis dyno's around Springfield with O2's that could help with jetting,, but it might not help because boggs are caused by a lack of fuel especially at or near the start.. Probably should make sure you have proper fuel supply for methanol and rear jet extensions,correct fuel bowl levels, if it has a rear powervalve you will need to plug and recalibrate jetting to make up difference,, or run carb sideways... Call Roger at C&S to find out how much to jet up on his alch carbs when removing alch powervalve.. Boggs are a lean condition though, most of the time..

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:23 pm 

If you dont have a o2 sensor, it will take some serious track time to get it jetted. My expirences with methanol was i jetted up from factory settings until motor builds around 15-20 degrees temp during the run. Bogging off the line is a fat condition, not lean, pullcthe plug after the run, a properly tuned alky carb will not milk the oil. If it milks it,its too fat. You shouldnt have a problem getting an alky motor to 180-190 degrees. Being a 377 cube, around a147_150 jet wouldbe a good starting point...if its boggy and not building heat, its too fat, jet it down.

78 malibu
540 bb cchevy
2008 no-e track champ

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:57 pm 

Bogging off the line can be from a lean condition, butterflies open and not enough fuel will bog ;)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:13 pm 

Being that its a c-s carb, its probably an aerasol carb. They got super rich fuel circuits. Ive been running alky for years, when they are lazy and bog off the line its fat.... half track bogand nose over, its lean...i talked to these guys at the tranny shop couple weeks back. The car will not build any temp and milks oil bad.. its way fat, thats why it boggs, ff the line

78 malibu
540 bb cchevy
2008 no-e track champ

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:42 am 

If you rig is boggs on the launch,,,, launches, boggs, and then runs ok down the track, its because it went lean. You are uncovering a fuel circuit under hard jerk and acceleration. Nothing to do with jetting,, your jetting may or may not be perfect in either direction but that had nothing to do with your launch bogg. Some alch carbs are modified with a .125 hole in power circuit right above the jet. You can't keep a jet covered with fuel in the back without a jet extension let alone a .125 hole higher in the metering block or a powervalve back there. You launch it uncovers you bogg. The harder you launch the harder it will bogg. Just trying to help... Roger

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:59 pm 

Roger is right, some of the early C&S had the xtra hole drilled above the jet & used gas jets & may need to run the floats a tad higher than normal to keep them covered with fuel. I first would check float level & look at your fuel delivery. What pump, & line size & pressure. It sounds like its running the bowl dry.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:20 am 

The engine was not warm enough thats for sure and before we went down the track oil was milky for sure so changed it at track see the carb came off a circle track car so my thinking was since there tanks are in back and always under a load they needed to jet the carb up to keep up with the load so I figured if i jetted down a couple it would be perfect i just dont know

76 nova
377 sbc powered by griff.
formally known as the skittle

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:29 pm 

You can also use your transbrake to help with initial jetting. Get motor warmedup best you can, pull the chip on your 2 step so you can bring the transbrake up against converter, continue to jet bigger until your rpm stall drops off, then back off 2 sizes.... some people may laugh but i do my stuff this way.

78 malibu
540 bb cchevy
2008 no-e track champ

Board index » Main » General Discussion